1. How did you become connected with Hope Scarves?
I was connected through Hope for Two, Lara was my mentor. I was diagnosed when I was 34 Weeks Pregnant with my second son. Which was similar to Lara’s situation as well.
2. How did receiving the scarf and story impact your healing journey?
The story made me feel more confident with starting a new chapter in my life. The scarf was part of a way to make me feel more comfortable with my new image.
3. What are the things that provided hope and strength to you throughout your battle?
Having my two sons (Grant and Micah), my husband (Russ), Lots of family and Lots of friends here to remind me that I have a lot to keep on going with my daily life. Reading stories of other mom’s that have experienced getting diagnosed with breast cancer while being pregnant. Then delivery a healthy baby and caring for him while getting chemo treatment and soon double mastectomy. Knowing that it is possible to balance being a mom of two and wife during all of this.
4. Where are you currently in your life after cancer? Tell us about your hobbies, interests, family and what is going on these days.
I currently have one more chemo treatment (which is August 28, 2013) and then at the end of September I will be getting a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. I am a stay at home mom so I spend lots of time with my two sons. We have a lot of family time at home, since I have to be careful with all the germs right now. Occasionally we go boating or to a friends house to have a play date with the other stay at home moms. We like to have family/friends over to cook great meals and entertain. We have family and friends stop over with lots of support.
5. What do you wish other people knew about Hope Scarves?
That by receiving a scarf means so much. It gives you more confidence about your image and lets you know that you are not alone in this journey.
6. What would you tell someone who is thinking about sending a Hope Scarf to a friend battling cancer?
Make sure and take the time to send one to that special person. It is so uplifting to know that someone is taking the time to do something for you. So please send one!
7. What is something that you would like to do that you haven’t done yet? (ie. Bucket List)
Go on many more vacations with my family. Would love to go on an Alaskan cruise with my husband.
8. What is your favorite inspirational quote or words to live by?
Kiss your babies often
Tell the ones you love that you love them
Be thankful for the support from family and friends
Know the life is too short for nonsense
And pray often…
9. If your friends or family had to describe you in two words, what would those be?
Courageous and Focused
10. Please share something you learned having gone through cancer.
Take it day by day. Be positive and always remember to be thankful for all the support you received. For me that was a big relief knowing that so many people care even if they were not actually here to help out physically, but thinking of me and my family.